Sunday, September 11, 2005

The aftermath

I live in Houston, and the other day I was driving behind a car from Louisiana. They didn't turn fast enough for me at a light so I honked at them. Well, I have spent the last few days feeling terrible for it. I have given to help the survivors out, but since I live in a part of town where there aren't really any of them it can be easy to forget that they are here. I realized that the person I honked at probably doesn't have anything except what was in that car. There whole life is in disarray and here I am honking because they are slowing me down on my way to shop. What a jerk I am. They might have lost family, or their home, or their job. Who knows maybe they lost all of it. When I think about it I just want to cry. I can't even imagine. The closet I can come to that kind of loss is when my mother died 3 years ago. I wanted the whole world to stop spinning, and for everyone to spend months mourning my mother. I guess that honk was my wake up call to be more compassionate, and to really help me connect with what they are going through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home